Sunday, November 30, 2014

Welcome

Welcome to my blog!  This is a picture of my mom and my aunt, Tracy.  Tracy is profoundly developmentally disabled and medically fragile.  She is a resident of the Wyoming Life Resource Center; a state-run Intermediate Care Facility in Wyoming.
 
My name is Shawn Humberson.  I am a State Coordinator for VOR; a national organization that advocates for high quality care and human rights for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.  I also serve as President of the Board for Friends of WLRC; a group of parents, guardians, family, friends, concerned citizens and businesses who have come together to support clients residing at WLRC in Lander, WY. The Friends of WLRC is a non-profit organization formed to help provide support and a voice for those who can not speak for themselves.
 
Tracy is the inspiration for my work as an advocate.  I was seven years old when Tracy was born.  She was a long-awaited, very loved addition to our family.  Tracy has taught us all to be open-minded and accepting.  She is a beautiful human being. I am her voice.  And in being her voice; I am also the voice for all citizens of Wyoming who cannot speak for themselves.
 
I invite you to join me on my journey.  This blog will have information and opinions that will, hopefully, empower other advocates as we strive for high-quality, client-centered, integrated care for persons with developmental and intellectual disabilities, acquired brain injury, and traumatic brain injury. Please note:  the opinions expressed in this blog are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the organizations to which I belong. Follow me on Twitter @wyo_advocate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home